Saturday, September 14, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Guy From Apartment 4E by Kensi

 
Photo c/o Precious Pages Corporation

TITLE:  The Guy From Apartment 4E (4672)
AUTHOR: Kensi
FROM: Precious Hearts Romances
PAGES: 128

“I want to be a better man. Hindi ko kayang gawin iyon nang mag-isa. I need inspiration. I need you.”

Moving in to a new apartment was Cece’s first taste of independence. Sa edad na beinte-sais ay hindi pa niya nasusubukang malayo sa kanyang pamilya nang higit sa beinte-kuwatro oras. Wala siyang ibang pinagkakaabalahan kundi ang kanyang trabaho. Her parents thought it was the reason why she was still single. Sa katunayan, isa siyang certified NBSB, as in “no boyfriend since birth.”

Pero hindi naman problema iyon para sa kanya. Naniniwala siya na sooner or later, darating ang araw na mai-in love siya. But what she didn’t know was that it would come sooner rather than later. And it happened without her even realizing it.

Nang masilayan niya ang magagandang mata ng bagong kapitbahay niya ay wala siyang kaalam-alam na iyon na pala ang magiging simula ng pagbabago ng kanyang social status. That was probably because she was busy getting mesmerized by the most captivating eyes she had ever seen, the eyes that belonged to a certain Jasper Montecillo…





REVIEW

GENRE
Romance

PLOT
The plot felt ordinary. It lacked "wow" moments. 

POINT OF VIEW
The heroine's POV felt "bipolar" most of the time. Though it's possible that some women don't show their "kilig" outside, I think it's a point that should be mentioned about the character. I like the hero POV more.

CHARACTERS
CECE
Her character lacked hurdles. Lacking in motivation.  

JASPER
Same with Cece, though I saw a potential as a jealous character. I like his fussy nature. He's like a mother hen.

MEANING
n/a

COMPARISONS
n/a 

OTHER DETAILS
It was easy to read. It's something fresh. Though there were not enough conflicts and there was no "wow" factor in the climax. It's not stimulating enough. I was expecting at least one or two highlights. HIGHLIGHTS. 

Favorite scene: Anything showing Jasper annoyed or fussing.

Favorite dialogue: I can't find an outstanding phrase that really moved me. 



CONCLUSION
It's frustrating for a reader like me when I feel that the writer did not connect with their characters. When they have not explored the hero or heroine's personalities. There are two types of conflict: internal and external. I noticed that most new Filipino romance writers don't exploit both. Or maybe they don't know about those things. Well, research about it. Attend workshops. Your stories will be much better if there is a mixture of both, because there's more to characters than being able to go on dates or getting into one action-packed adventure after another. They want to be challenged both inside and outside. They want to face the biggest hurdle the writer can give them. Don't underestimate your characters.

NOTE: Apologies, I forgot to put the rating I'm supposed to give. The 1 star rating was from the format I copied from another review. So, the rating of this book is 2 stars.


RATING:  2 STAR 

No comments:

Post a Comment