Monday, July 1, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Let Me Love You by Skye Reyes

 
Photo c/o Precious Hearts Romances


TITLE: Let Me Love You (4744)
AUTHOR: Skye Reyes
FROM: Precious Hearts Romances
PAGES: 128


Matalik na kaibigan ni Chrissa sina Aldrich at Rane. Pero nasira ang pagkakaibigan nila nang mabunyag na si Rane pala ang lihim na minamahal ng fiancée ni Aldrich. Naipit si Chrissa sa dalawang kaibigan niya, pati na rin sa pagsintang-pururot niya para kay Aldrich. Lihim kasing nagbunyi ang puso niya nang maisip niyang may pag-asa pa ang dalawang dekadang pagmamahal niya para dito.
Sinamahan niya si Aldrich at inalo sa pagkabigo nito. Nang hindi na siya makatiis ay nagtapat siya. At gumuho ang mundo niya nang tanggihan siya nito. Pero isang araw ay binawi nito ang sinabi at iginiit na subukan diumano nila. Kaya naman mula sa pagiging magkaibigan ay naging mag-MU sila.
Tunay na malabong usapan ang namagitan sa kanila dahil isang araw ay nakita niyang magkayakap ito at ang dating fiancée nito…



REVIEW

GENRE
Romance

PLOT
Nakulangan ako sa plot. O, mas dapat sabihing mali `yong ginamit na plot? Mas may potential kasi kung sa side ng heroine `yong ginamit.

POINT OF VIEW
The POVs were okay, I just wished that it focused on the heroine's POV more. Mas okay siya, eh.  

CHARACTERS
CHRISSA
Sobrang disappointed ako na hindi na-explore ang character niya. Sayang dahil puwede sanang gamitin bilang pampausad ng plot at connection nila ni Aldrich ang pagiging writer niya. Kung tutuusin, best-friends-turned-lovers ang pinakamadaling gawan ng kuwento (not that it's easy, I know) dahil established na ang feelings ng isa sa hero at heroine. But the opportunity was wasted.

I didn't like that everything went smoothly for Chrissa's career. I don't know about writers who will read this story, but for me I'd feel slighted by the smoothness of her career. Sana naman nilagyan ng kaunting problema man lang.

ALDRICH
I don't think he fits the character of a doctor. He's more like the engineer/architect type. May dominant traits kasi ang isang medical man na isang basa mo pa lang alam nang doctor siya. Nakukuha rin sa dialogue. He had the hero potential, though, if only he'd been unconsciously seductive when he's with Chrissa (there's actually one part where the tension was visible).


MEANING
n/a

COMPARISONS
n/a

OTHER DETAILS
Why was Chrissa mentioned in chapter one? I didn't think she belonged there. Nakaka-confuse lang. It was fine na later na siyang lumitaw, tutal moment lang naman ni Aldrich `yon. Okay nang afterthought siya, na saka lang siya naalala ni Aldrich.

The present to flashback strategy did not work for me. Nalito ako. Especially since parang puwedeng tuloy-tuloy na `yong story from chapter one to chapter two. Kahit pa may nakalagay na "a week earlier". Or much better siguro kung wala na ang chapter one. Nag-focus na lang sa weirdness ng phone call ni Lorelene. Simplicity is beauty.

You cut a scene because you've said all you have to say on that scene. Hindi dahil masyado na lang mahaba or gusto mo lang. Nakakabitin ng momentum. Iyong tipong nagwa-warm up na ako sa eksena, tapos biglang... ay, `yon na `yon? Anong silbi ng scene na `yon?


Favorite scene... When Chrissa was sick. I felt that she was really a writer. And I felt the potential for tension between the characters. Felt short though.

Aldrich's dialogues are better because he's the one who has problems. He's trying to heal his pain, he's trying to go somewhere... May pinaghuhugutan.

CONCLUSION
It was okay. I have an issue about the writer's feelings when she wrote this, but I'll keep my mouth shut about it. I'm not such a bully to dwell on that, but I hope writers refrain from writing when they have a hesitant heart. The readers could feel it. We understand that writers are humans, with issues and heartaches, but I wish that they don't take the quality of their stories for granted.


RATING:  2 STARS  ★ ★

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Have you read Once A Princess by Angel Bautista? Maybe you might want to try reading it. I'm betting my one year salary as a CPA, it's a very good novel. Heartbreaking, a certified tearjerker... heartwarming... I'll be looking forward on reading your review of Once A Princess. More power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take note of it. Thank you for the request.

      Delete
    2. In response to your request, Mr/Ms Anonymous, I've read another Angel Bautista book, The Reality Show: Rockstar. It was a really good and touching story. Though I can't put a review here because I think the author has proven something already.

      Delete