Thursday, June 13, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Love The Ninja Way by Luna King



 
Photo c/o Precious Hearts Romances


TITLE: Love The Ninja Way (4573)
AUTHOR: Luna King
FROM: Precious Hearts Romances
PAGES: 128

Malaki ang naging kasalanan ni Audrey sa magkasintahang kaibigan niya na sina Prima at Keij nang muntik na siyang maging dahilan ng pagkasira ng love story ng mga ito. Kaya para makabawi sa magkasintahan ay nangako siya sa sariling pangangalagaan niya ang relasyon ng dalawa. Ginawa niyang misyon ang i-distract ang atensiyon ng lalaking may lihim na pagtingin kay Prima—si Exel, lalo na nang marinig niya ang sinabi nitong: “I’m going to have her back. I won’t let him win now.”

May balak itong agawin si Prima mula kay Keij! Doon na naalarma si Audrey at agad niyang isinagawa ang misyon. Sa misyon niyang iyon ay nag-a la ninja siya sa pagsunod-sunod kay Exel mahadlangan lang ang masamang plano nito. Sukdulang magpanggap pa siyang may gusto rito para lang hindi nito mahalata ang panggugulo niya sa diskarte nito.

But Audrey’s plan backfired on her. Mula sa misyon niyang ilayo si Exel kay Prima, naging misyon na niya ang paibigin ang binata. Because she fell in love with Exel!
 



REVIEW

GENRE
Romance, Humor, Slight Drama, Feel-good

PLOT
The plot was simple. Committed to the end, but nothing extraordinary going on.

POINT OF VIEW
I have an issue with the author switching character POVs to provide explanations and descriptions. Is it a weakness? Guess I’m still a fan of heroine-only POVs.

CHARACTERS
AUDREY
Audrey is quite immature for a college student. I think she's more like a high school student. And she didn't have too many problems in life. I appreciate heroines who work hard somehow. 

I can see her as a stereotypical heroine in a shoujo manga (Japanese comics aimed at young girls). I am a shoujo fan and honestly, few shoujo heroines amuse me. They lack the wit, though they make up with their big heart. If there’s a trait I like about this type, it’s their loyalty to their friends.

EXEL
He looked formidable at first, but I wasn’t convinced about his reason for agreeing to a relationship with Audrey. He lacks a hidden agenda.

The characters actually felt robotic in most scenes. Like they’re reading a script. I’m not sure if I felt their connection. I was looking for a deeper reason to finally shout "love!".

MEANING

COMPARISONS

OTHER DETAILS
A few pages and I knew this was the “kilig” type of romance that most (mature/experienced) people hate. Not so realistic and some scenes totally controlled by unknown forces. Childish and manipulative, but I understand that it is a type of subgenre nowadays. Like a fad or something.

There was no impact in the hero and heroine’s first meeting. It had a potential, but it was not written/explored properly.

The teaser spoiled a lot for me. It almost told the whole story. No mystery whatsoever. This is the type of novel that lives in surprises and sudden turn of events.

Some scenes reminded me of a shoujo manga. If they give justice to the theme, I’m not sure.

The McDo scene was my favorite. Clever. And the twist at the end, too.

The dialogues seemed childish or exaggerated. They were okay, but not stimulating enough. No passion enough. Everything just felt so... simple.

CONCLUSION
It was a nice read. Light. It’s just cocooned in a certain genre so I don’t know if it will cater to the general readers, but it’s worth a try. 

RATING:  3 STARS  ★ ★ ☆ ☆

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Yay! Thank you for taking time to review my book! I enjoyed reading it, at salamat sa pag-point out sa flaws ng istorya, I will work on them! God bless! ^___^

    *salutes*

    -LK

    ReplyDelete